Last week, Bruce Purkey shared with us some tips and best practices for readying the tractor for winter. In his webinar, Bruce referenced the Technology Maintenance Council (TMC) RP-129, which outlines an easy 1-2-3 approach to testing cranking and charging systems.
Testing the Cranking System
- Disconnect all batteries and test with a quality tester
- Conduct a voltage drop test on main cranking cables
- Conduct a voltage drop test on the control circuit
Testing the Charging System
- Take all batteries apart and test with a quality tester
- Conduct a voltage drop test on charging cables
- Test the alternator
To view the full webinar and access a downloadable PDF of RP-129, click here.
This coming week, Bruce will continue his Winter Preparation Tips webinar series with Part 2: Winterizing Your Trailer Liftgate System. Click here to save your seat for this half hour webinar on Thursday, November 16 at 12:00 pm CST. Can’t make it? No worries—register anyway, and we’ll send you a link to the On-Demand version for you to watch at your convenience.
Have any questions about preparing your heavy-duty vehicle for winter? Let us know in the comments below!