When you’re on the road driving, it can be hard to be away from home and miss out on the holidays. The 4th of July brings family and friends, BBQ’s, and fireworks—all celebrating the Independence of our great nation—and we know you might be missing the festivities this week. Aside from the camaraderie and the fun activities (like sparklers!), there is one other thing we know everyone enjoys on the 4th, and that is the food!
Just because you are on the road doesn’t mean you have to miss out on meals that remind you of home. Some of the classics you can easily make while inside your truck include:
- Classic BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken: you can create this delicious meal with just chicken and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Place thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts and sauce into a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, and serve with rice or on rolls for sandwiches. If you prefer wings, legs, or thighs, these can be made the same way, cooked on low for 4-6 hours.
- Hamburger or Turkey Burger Patties. Purchase frozen patties and microwave on a paper towel or microwave plate for 2-3 minutes and serve on buns with your favorite toppings.
Traditional sides include:
- Easy veggie salads pre-washed and mixed for you in a bag, or simply chop and combine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and any other of your favorite ingredients. Easy dressings, outside of bottled options for fewer calories, include olive oil combined with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper, fresh fruit juice, or toss in a light mayonnaise with salt and pepper.
- Fruit salad or plain watermelon slices.
- Chips, or, for a healthier option, bagged popcorn.
- Baked Potato or Potato Salad. Microwave a baked potato (sold ready-to-microwave or wrapped in Glad wrap) on the potato setting for around 11 minutes. Serve with toppings or cut up for a quick potato salad with mustard, mayonnaise, and pickles.
- Don’t discount a purchased cheesecake or shortcake! You can add strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream for a festive look.
- Red, white, and blue popsicles from the freezer section if you are somewhere with elevated temperatures!
When you’re on the road and you want to enjoy the pleasures of a home cooked meal, Purkeys Inverters are a great way to utilize the capacity of your truck for cooking without worrying about draining your truck battery. You should be able to enjoy the comforts of home, wherever you roam. Contact Purkeys today for more information on our inverters.